ULTRALIFE RED SLIME REMOVER
Treats 150 Gallons
Ultralife Red Slime Remover is a revolutionary time tested product that will effectively and safely remove red slime algae quickly without harm to fish, inverts or corals. The results will amaze you!
Treats 150 gallons.
Red slime algae is actually not a "true" algae at all, but classified as a cyanobacteria. Often considered to be the evolutionary link between bacteria and algae, cyanobacteria are one of the oldest forms of life on earth and date back at least 3.5 billion years. These organisms produce oxygen as a byproduct of photosynthesis.
Commonly referred to as "red slime" algae, the name cyanobacteria literally means "blue-green" algae. Despite the naming, only about half of these organisms are actually blue-green in color. Most forms found in saltwater are other colors, ranging from blackish green to blue-green, from orange-yellow to reddish-brown, and often appear deep purple to fully black in color.
Starting out as small patches, it spreads out from there as a mat of sheeting covering and smothering as it grows.
What Makes Slime Algae Grow
- high nitrate or phosphate levels
- old or incorrect spectrum lighting
Solutions For Eliminating This Problem
- Test the water chemistry in tank. Test for nitrate and phosphate in your salt and make up water. Treat for nitrates or phosphates.
- Replace lighting. Old bulbs shift in spectrum to red which the algae loves.
- Treat with Ultralife Slime Remover